The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is home to a thriving and top-ranked innovation economy.
Our roster of leading technology companies, academic institutions, incubators, entrepreneurs, and researchers make Massachusetts one of the best places in the U.S. to start a business, develop your revolutionary idea, or launch a new technology.
This mix of top assets has placed Massachusetts at the top of numerous independent rankings, including:
- #1 in Bloomberg's State Innovation Index for 2015 & 2016;
- The top state for eight consecutive editions of the Milken Institute’s State Tech and Science Index;
- Called an “Innovation Champion” by the Consumer Technology Association; and
- Named the Center for Data Innovation’s top state for 2017.
Investing in Innovation
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is continuing to invest in innovation, supporting projects that will boost emerging tech sectors and keep Massachusetts a global leader in the development of new, cutting edge technologies. Discover how these projects support the Massachusetts innovation economy and learn how your company can become a partner in these projects:
- Supporting Advanced Manufacturing through the M2I2 Initiative;
- Investing in cutting-edge R&D infrastructure and research partnerships between leading private-sector tech companies & Massachusetts research institutions;
- Leading the Massachusetts Digital Health Initiative and the development of tech at the nexus of healthcare & technology;
- Investing in Rural Broadband expansion, delivering connectivity to unserved towns; and
- Developing in-depth research on the Commonwealth's world-class Robotics Cluster.
Below are comprehensive presentations on the technology sectors and business resources that make up the Commonwealth's world-class innovation economy. Click on the links below to download a PDF copy:
- Collaborative Workspaces – Accelerators, incubators, and more;
- Cyber Security – Global leadership through talent, resources, & investment;
- Digital Health – Building on our world-class healthcare & tech ecosystems;
- STEM Workforce – #1 in Innovation Economy talent; and
- Index of the Massachusetts Innovation Economy - Our annual data-driven analysis of Massachusetts and other 'Leading Technology States';
Interested in moving your company to Massachusetts?
Visit our Business Assistance page to uncover state resources or to connect with a member of our program team.