Broadband Infrastructure Gap Networks Grant Program
Solicitation No. 2024-MBI-01
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts (“the Commonwealth) is making up to $145 million in Capital Projects Funds (“CPF”) available through the Broadband Infrastructure Gap Networks Grant Program (“Gap Networks Grant Program” or the “Program”), to address the critical digital needs of towns and cities, with a particular focus on communities with substantial low-income households and disadvantaged populations. The Program will fund the deployment of broadband infrastructure in areas that currently lack access to sufficient broadband internet service, defined as service offering download speeds of at least 100 Mbps and upload speeds of at least 20 Mbps.
The Commonwealth is building upon prior, successful investments of state funds to expand broadband availability. However, there are locations in towns and cities throughout the Commonwealth still lack affordable and reliable high-speed internet. The United States Treasury’s CPF Program provides a transformative opportunity for the Commonwealth to deploy federal broadband infrastructure funding to connect the unconnected and provide access to those residents that need it the most.
All projects must reach substantial completion before December 31, 2026. Substantial completion is reached when the Project can fulfill the primary operations that it was designed to perform and deliver services to end-users. At substantial completion, service and management systems infrastructure must be operational.
Full details included in the Grant Solicitation below.
The following entities are eligible for grant application submission:
- Private entities (e.g., corporations, limited liability companies, general partnerships, limited partnerships, etc.).
- Local governmental entities (e.g., municipalities or municipal light plants that offer broadband service), Native American Indian Tribes, and non-profit organizations.
- Co-operatives, electric co-operatives, and utilities.
- Public Private Partnerships, which are long-term agreements between local government entities and private entities for the delivery and funding of broadband services.
- Other entities that develop and/or operate broadband networks and can demonstrate the experience, capacity and financial resources and stability to satisfy the grant obligations.
|Program Lead||Cornell Robinson, proposals (at) masstech.org|
|Program Launch - Release of Grant Solicitation||October 25, 2023|
|Online Grant Application Opens
(PDF of Grant Application Overview and Requirements is now available for prospective applicants)
|November 16, 2023 (amended 11-13-23)|
Solicitation Round #1
|Solicitation Round Opens||October 25, 2023|
|Technical Assistance Webinar||November 17, 2023 at 2:00 P.M.
Recording (Video) | Presentation Slides (PDF)
|Questions Will Be Accepted and Answered on a Rolling Basis||Deadline to submit questions is November 22, 2023 at 5:00 P.M.
|Application Round Closes||Applications must be received by December 11, 2023 at 5:00 P.M.|
|Grant Award Notifications||January - February 2024|
Solicitation Round #2
|Solicitation Round Opens||March 6, 2024|
|Technical Assistance Webinar||March 18, 2024|
|Questions Will Be Accepted and Answered on a Rolling Basis||Deadline to submit questions is March 27, 2024 at 5:00 P.M.|
|Application Round Closes||Applications must be received by April 17, 2024 at 5:00 P.M.|
|Grant Award Notifications||May - June 2024|
Download Grant Documents:
- DOWNLOAD GRANT SOLICITATION 2024-MBI-01
- DOWNLOAD 2024-MBI-01 AMENDMENT 1 (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD 2024-MBI-01 AMENDMENT 2 (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD GRANT APPLICATION OVERVIEW AND REQUIREMENTS (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD GAP NETWORKS FEDERALLY FUNDED GRANT AGREEMENT TEMPLATE (DOC)
- DOWNLOAD 2024-MBI-01 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS DOCUMENT BATCH #1 (PDF) (Posted 12-01-2023)
- DOWNLOAD 2024-MBI-01 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS DOCUMENT BATCH #2 (PDF) (Posted 12-04-2023)
- DOWNLOAD 2024-MBI-01 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS DOCUMENT BATCH #3 (PDF) (Posted 12-05-2023)
Online Grant Application Link and Associated Documents:
- Click this link to begin preparing your Broadband Infrastructure Gap Networks Grant Application (Updated 11-17-23):
- Grant Application Associated Documents:
- Project Service Area Overview Form (PDF) - This form is used in conjunction with the Online Grant Application in Section 4.
- Support of Target Populations and Equity Form (PDF) - This form is used in conjunction with the Online Grant Application in Section 5.1. (Updated 12-1-23)
- Project Feasibility and Reasonableness Form (PDF) - This form is used in conjunction with the Online Grant Application in Section 5.3.(Updated 11-17-23)
- PSA Addresses Data Template (Excel) - This is a spreadsheet template that is used in conjunction with the Online Grant Application in Section 5.1C. (Updated 12-1-23)