MTIP Reimbursement Process
How does a company request stipend reimbursement?
The MassTech Intern Partnership reimburses stipends for up to 50% of the intern's hourly wage up to $8 per hour for a total of $3,200/year per individual intern. Eligible companies may apply for up to 2 interns per program period. This year, eligible companies in the priority focus areas of Cybersecurity, Digital Health, Fintech, Internet of Things (IoT), and Robotics may apply for up to 3 interns per program period. All interns must be compensated as employees, not contractors, with required payroll withholdings. Stipends are reimbursed at the conclusion of the internship. The deadline for claiming reimbursement is October 31, 2021.
Before a company may submit for reimbursement, the company must gather payroll documentation for each intern that meets the following requirements:
- Proof of payment that verifies:
- Intern name
- Company name
- Hourly wage or total hours worked
- Gross pay
- Pay period dates (check dates are not sufficient)
- Payroll tax deductions
- Acceptable proof of payment includes:
- Payroll reports, registers, or journals
- Paycheck stubs
- Earnings statements
- Unacceptable proof of payment includes:
- Cancelled checks
- Any documentation that does not show required tax deductions
- Excel spreadsheets
- Payroll reports generated by third-party vendors are preferred.
- Companies must treat their interns as employees of the company and not contractors or subcontractors and pay interns as W-2 employees with required payroll withholdings.
The submission deadline for summer 2021 reimbursement: October 31, 2021.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.